RSS Feed

Flea Quiz

Flea Quiz

While fleas are present in our area year-round and flea control is necessary year-round, the warmth of summer enables fleas to complete their reproductive cycle at a faster rate, often resulting in a population explosion.

How much do YOU know about these pesky parasites?

  1. True or False: The life cycle of a flea is just like a butterfly - Adult, Egg, Larvae, Pupae, Adult
  2. How long does it take for a flea egg to develop into an adult flea?
    1. 20 days
    2. 100 days
    3. 325 days
    4. All of the above

  3. How many eggs may a female flea lay on your pet each day?
    1. 1
    2. 10
    3. 40
    4. 100

  4. True or False: The most likely way for your pet to catch fleas is from another animal.
  5. True or False: When treating for fleas you just need to get rid of the fleas on the animal.

Answers:

1. True. Eggs are laid on the pet and roll off into the environment to hatch into a larvae. The larvae can move a small distance in search of a dark, humid place where they spin a cocoon. After a variable period of lying dormant the young adult flea emerges from the cocoon. 2. (d) All of the above. The length of the flea life-cycle will depend on the temperature and the presence of a food source (your pet’s blood!). 3. (c) 40 4. False. A contaminated environment is the most likely place for your pet to pick up fleas. 5. False. The fleas on the animal only make up about 5% of the total flea life-cycle population, the remaining 95% being in the environment.